The first dance, it’s a tried-and-true tradition (even though you obviously don’t have to do it if you don’t want to!), and there can be as much pressure to pick the first song as there is to, you know, actually dance. Which category suits you?
If you want to get caught in the moment as you gaze into each other’s eyes and tune out those 200 guests around you, choose something romantic.
- “When a Man Loves a Woman,” by Percey Sledge
- “Stay Together,” by Al Green
- “Let’s Get Lost,” by Chet Baker
- “Here and Now,” by Luther Vandross
- “Get Here,” by Oleta Adams
If you’re having a contemporary wedding, you may want to choose from currently popular tunes. That way, your first dance song will almost mark your wedding in time that year and that moment.
- “A Thousand Years,” by Christina Perri
- “One and Only,” by Adele
- “Love on Top,” by Beyonce
- “Everything,” by Michael Buble
- “I’m Yours,” by Jason Mraz
Time & Place
There are songs that you associate with the time you first met, a significant moment of your dating life, or even a vacation you enjoyed together. Many times the guests won’t know why you picked a particular song for your first dance, but that’s ok. It has meaning to you and that’s what counts.
- “Jammin,” by Bob Marley
- “Save Room,” by John Legend
- “You’re My Home,” by Billy Joel
- “We Found Love,” by Rihanna
Classy and Timeless
If you want to be able to ask a pianist in a hotel bar in Rome to play a song for your 10th wedding anniversary, you may want to pick one of the timeless classics. Here are a few songs that will always be in style.
- “It Had to Be You,” by Harry Connick Jr.
- “At Last,” by Etta James
- “All the Things You Are,” by Frank Sinatra
- “L-O-V-E,” by Nat King Cole
- “The Way You Look Tonight,” by Tony Bennett
If you’re the type of couple who wants a showstopping fun song to convey your sense of humor and strike a tone of excitement for the reception, there is really no limit here. And what’s best, choreography is optional!
- “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing,” by Aerosmith
- “Hungry Like the Wolf,” by Duran Duran
- “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You,” by Frankie Valli
- “You’re My Darling Angel,” by Shaggy
- “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love Baby,” by Barry White