1. Dance it off – get up and dance! Often when nervous we can tend to seize up! It is a good idea to put on your favourite tunes and regardless if you have a moment alone in your room while you are getting ready or you want your bridesmaids or groomsmen to join in, get up and dance! Shake off all the nervous tension, you will feel so much better afterwards being silly and laughing at yourself.
2. Go for a walk – Go for a short 15 minute walk around the block, sometimes we need a bit of alone time away from all the hustle and bustle from where we are getting ready to just take a moment to pull ourselves together. Hopefully giving you a little more clarity to think clearer.
3. Sneak away with your groom/bride – You may have 10 minutes before you are introduced at the reception, take advantage of it. Have some time with just you and your groom, reflect and debrief about the days events and take a moment to reconnect. More than likely after saying your vows you’ve barely had time to talk to each other as you have been busy with friends, family and photographs.
4. Eat a good breakfast – You need energy to get you through the day, we know you are nervous and eating is likely the last thing you feel like doing but you will feel less shaky with some food in your stomach. Even if it’s small do your best to eat, it will likely be the last chance you will get for quite a while.
5. Sip a drink – We suggest you do this only after having something to eat. You just want to take the edge off the nerves so only have enough to help you calm down a bit.
6. Focus on your breathing – It is as simple as taking in a huge big breath and slowly releasing a few times, close your eyes and just breathe deeply, it is an easy thing you can do right before the ceremony starts. It will help to relax your muscles and circulate more oxygen around your body.
7. Listen to the comforting words of those close to you – You have requested for the people closest to you to be there on the day of your wedding. More than likely they will be the people in your life who you trust the most. Listen to what they have to say, they are there to support and comfort you, take courage from their words.
8. Think positively – Don’t entertain negative words! This is one of the most special moments in your life, regardless of what chaos may have surrounded this day, remember you are making a vow to the person you have chosen to spend your life with, that is something to celebrate and enjoy!
9. Don’t sweat the small things – You may feel nervous, stressed but don’t let the little things that don’t work quite as you imagined get to you. Remember to keep the bigger picture in mind. Ask yourself, does what just happened stop you from getting married? If you’re answer is no, take a deep breath hold your head high laugh it off and carry on. Don’t let it be a memory that you carry on after the wedding day.
10. Get plenty of rest – Make sure in the lead up to the big day you are getting plenty of rest. Have someone to keep you accountable for getting to sleep at a decent hour. Turn off electrical devices, your light and force yourself to close your eyes and calm your mind. You will thank yourself for it the next day.